36 Pieces for Theorbo (Francois Couperin)
- Instrument: solo theorbo
- Composer: Francois Couperin (arr. Christoph Dalitz)
- First publication: 2012
Unlike the contemporary theorbo intavolations of pieces by Francois Couperin (1668-1733) which can be found in some manuscripts, this collocetion does not simply pick a few "hits" from his four books of "Pièces de Clavecin". Instead, I try to imitate Couperin's grouping of the pieces to "Ordres":
- Ordre 1 (D Minor): L'Auguste, Courante, La Basque, Gavotte, La Mimi, La Muse-Plantine
- Ordre 2 (A Minor): La Castelane, L'Espagnolète, La Bondissante, Gavotte, Menuet, Canaries
- Ordre 3 (E Minor): Les Lis naissans, L'Ausoniène, La Flore, Gavotte, La Prude, Rondeau
- Ordre 4 (G Major): La Ménetou, Les Bergeries, Les Sentimens, L'Antonine, Menuet, L'Enfantine, Les Baricades Mistérieuses
- Ordre 5 (D Major): Les Graces incomparables ou La Conti, La Manon, Soeur Monique, La Fleurie ou la tendre Nanette, La Galante
- Ordre 6 (A Major): Les Juméles, La Charaloise, La Vauvré, La Bourbonnoise, La Belle Javotte, La Gabriéle
The complete edition is in French lute tablature and includes prefaces in German and English, which also gives an explanation of the grace signs.
Here I make one piece available for download so that you can get an impression of style and difficulty of the music. The entire volume is available from Notendownload. There you can also hear me playing the beginning of "Soeur Monique". If you have problems obtaining a copy, you can alternatively drop me an email.